MISSION Our church was chartered in 1887 with twelve members, who at first held Sabbath School and worship services in their own homes. As the years passed, members built or bought church and school buildings, each one larger than the previous one, to accommodate the growing congregation. They were acting according to their mission of spreading the three angels’ message found in Revelation 14:6-12, and for their sacrificial faithfulness we honor their memories and give thanks to God. Construction of our Pitkin location started with groundbreaking ceremonies in October of 1954. In December of 1956, the church was dedicated to the Lord, debt free, so that resources of time and money could be invested in the mission of spreading the gospel to those near and far. June 9, 2018 marked our first Sabbath Service in our current facility. Our mission remains unchanged today
NEED For 65 years, our church and school met in two different locations, separated by a couple of miles. Though both the church and school campuses served well, that separation was not ideal. Worship, fellowship, training, study, counseling, planning, recreation–all these forms of ministry are the work of both the church and the school. But when we were obliged to shuttle back and forth between our two locations, there were losses–in efficiency and convenience, and even in personal contacts. For example, would that guest have accepted our invitation to the fellowship meal if she hadn’t been unsure about how to get from the church to the school? Would our school children be more confident as young leaders of worship if they could practice in the sanctuary? Did our members realize that our school is our biggest mission? For some time we prayed that God would make it possible for the church and school to be united on one campus.
Miraculously, the location of our school became very desirable when the local university built a football stadium across the street from it. We didn’t put our school up for sale, but to our surprise we were offered $4.75 million for it. That was the highest price per square foot that any building had been sold for in the history of Fort Collins. We took this as a sign from God that our vision of uniting church and school was ready to go to the next phase. With much prayer and deliberation, we embarked on a journey to build a multi-purpose facility that would unite our church and school under one roof, just as their joint mission unites them in one purpose. The project would cost approximately $7.129 million. The money from the sale of the school was enough to purchase prime real estate and jump start our building project. We listed our church for sale in order to raise more funds for the building project. Our original plan was to build the school first, sell our church, raise the remaining funds, and build the church without borrowing.
But as we went through the building process with the City, we were told that this plan was unfeasible. We would either need to build both church and school at the same time, or risk not being allowed to add the church on to the school at a later date. So we borrowed the funds needed to build the school and church at the same time. After two years, God answered our prayers and we were able to sell our church for $750K, leaving us with a debt of $830K.
We believe that if we do our part, giving sacrificially, the Lord will bless. Our monthly mortgage payment is $5300.